Cleaning and disinfection of microbial active air samplers in Clean Room
All the materials that are used with a microbial air sampler (protective aspirating head, aspirating head, body of the air sampler, bags, etc) should be cleaned and disinfected before the sampling cycles.
The external part of the air sampler should be treated with mild non corrosive detergent.
- Clean the body of the instrument with a soft cloth
- Do not use abrasive liquid
- Do not submerge in water!
- Do not pour water directly on the instrument
- Do not use solvent (e.g. acetone) for cleaning
- The holes of the aspirating head must be periodically treated with compressed air to remove possible dust that clogs the orifices.
DINSINFECTION AND STERILIZATION
Aspirating head – The s/s aspirating head complete of its protective cover may be wrapped in aluminum sheet and transferred to an autoclave and treated at 121°C for 20 minutes.
The s/s aspirating head can be also sanitized by treating the inside and outside part with sterile isopropilic alcohol (swab or spray).
Aspirating chamber of the plate – The aspirating chamber of the air sampler, complete of the aspirating head, may be sanitized using sterile isopropilic alcohol sprayed about 30 cm from the head with the air in aspiration. Approx. 30 seconds are sufficient to fully disinfect the air path. The alcohol will evaporate in a few seconds. This operation should ideally executed under laminar flow.